F18 : from iptables to firewalld

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Jan 31 11:59:04 UTC 2013

Am 31.01.2013 12:47, schrieb Ed Greshko:
> On 01/31/2013 06:36 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 31.01.2013 11:29, schrieb Ed Greshko:
>>> 0.   yum install firewalld firewall-config
>>> 1.   systemctl disable (or mask) iptables.service
>>> 1a. systemctl disable (or mask) ip6tables.service
>>> 2.   systemctl status firewalld.service
>>>       should show enabled
>>> 3.   reboot
>> why reboot?
>> this is not a kernel update nor windows
>
> It may have been an aberration....  However, the previous machine I had
> done this on was running quite a few services and things were "wonky"
> with connections afterwards.

maybe, but my point is that someone should not blindly reboot
before verify that at least a new ssh connection is possible
by changes to services which my block any network traffic
if things are not going perfectly

genereally:
 * leave open one ssh connection as safety net
 * after changes try a new one

this works even if you did make a mistake which causes
sshd to refuse start, it does usually not bring down
existing sessions and so you can fix the problem