F18 : from iptables to firewalld

Cristian Sava csava at central.ucv.ro
Thu Jan 31 12:52:12 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 08:40 +0100, antonio montagnani wrote:
> I updated my laptop that is running the old firewall. How do I switch to
> firewalld??? and how do I enable it?? any howto document??

Well, I upgraded from F17 (a box with two virtual machines) and
firewalld did not set correct rules for the host (they were and are in
iptables - but were ignored).
The docs says the good thing is iptables
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/Security_Guide/sect-Security_Guide-Firewalls.html
In fact we get wrong settings in firewalld (documentation here
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD?rd=FirewallD/ )
I am a sysadmin, I manage this crap (seems alpha stage), but other
innocent users?

C. Sava