Upgrade disaster F16->F17 (planned to go to F18)

Wade Hampton wadehamptoniv at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:02:33 UTC 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com>
To: Community support for Fedora users <users at lists.fedoraproject.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:06:10 -0500
Subject: Re: Upgrade disaster F16->F17 (planned to go to F18)
Wade Hampton writes:

« HTML content follows »
I finally decided to update my main home computer to F18.
It was F16 so I had to use preupgrade to go to F17.  After
several reboots it is up, sort-of, on the F16 kernel.  I have
had the following problems.

[snip]

Any idea on how I can fix YUM?

     # cat /etc/redhat-release
    Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)

    # yum update

    Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
    Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: fedora/16/x86_64.
Please verify its path and try again

Any idea how I can fix grub to boot into the F17 kernel?

First, run

rpm --rebuilddb

This will run a consistency check on the RPM database. Then run

rpm -q fedora-release

Your yum error suggests that you have fedora-release-16 installed,
irrespective of what your motd announces. If so, mount the F17 install
media, go into the Packages/f directory and run

rpm -UvhF fedora-release*

to manually update your fedora-release package to 17.

THANKS:  I had not thought to rebuild rpmbuild.  I'll try the
    manual update of the fedora-release as well when I get
    home tonight and attempt to fix this mess.

--
Wade Hampton