humble suggestion to Fedora developers

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Jan 31 15:46:59 UTC 2013

On 01/31/2013 04:44 AM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
> On 01/27/2013 06:15 PM, Lailah wrote:

>>> Trend which I see in my Linux "neighbourhood" is quite transparent -
>>> people switch from Fedora elsewhere: some of them to Centos, others
>>> to different distro, some leave Linux entirely. Perhaps nobody now
>>> is using Gnome3.

This matches with what I observe here. On my home network/personal
machines, my way to survive was to switch my home-server to CentOS and
to resort to Xfce as DE on Fedora clients.

>>> I myself was not afraid install Fedora at production workstations and
>>> servers, even in their beta phase - but it ended with F12-F13 (F14 was
>>> still good distro, but in beta phase there was unworkable systemd; in
>>> final release was upstart). And now I install Fedora not before several
>>> weeks after final releas - and for testing purposes only.
>>>

>> Well, is curious...   I see the opposite situation.  People from other
>> distros  (especially Ubuntu)  dropping into Fedora.  May be a
>> geographic difference?

I'd guess, it's people being dissatisfied with what they are used to,
now being on a "quest for the better".

  That said, from what I've heard and read, Ubuntu is in a similar
crisis as Fedora. What is Gnome3 in Fedora seems to be Unity in Ubuntu
(users turning away), what's the anaconda-disaster in F18 seems to be a
general stability in Ubuntu 12.10.

> I'm pretty much stuck for the moment until I know 18
> is a little more stable...as for people "jumping ship" even though a few
> of the releases might have had a lot of bugs...I don't think I'll be
> leaving Fedora just yet...LoL! I will wait to see if things smooth out
> by like...19...maybe 20....

My 2 cents ... stability-wise, from what I've experienced so far, F17
and F18 currently seem on par. Also, yum-upgrading existing F17
installations to F18 went without many problems for me.

However, installing F18 probably is a completely different matters ;)

Ralf