OT: what's with the 'i'?

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Thu Jan 31 17:56:49 UTC 2013

Quoting Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com>:

> On 01/31/2013 10:55 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Way way OT:
>>
>> Just out of interest, why do some people use the non-existent word "i",
>> not to mention other violations of capitalization rules when 1) their
>> Shift key is clearly not broken, and 2) they aren't the poet e.e.
>> cummings? I've seen a number of people do this (admittedly a tiny
>> minority) and never understood it. Do they think it's cool? Are they
>> expressing their inner rebel? Were they punished by their English
>> teacher at school? Is hitting Shift too much effort? Enquiring minds
>> want to know.

Well, what about using a microscopic keyboard image on an iThing while
in the subway? Could that have anything to do with it?

>> Sorry, this has been bugging me for ages and I had just had to get this
>> off my chest. Feel free to ignore.
>
> The expect their grammer checker to automagically fix this for them.
>  Their smartphones SMS messaging does this, so why not their email
> client?
>
> Some people did not learn on a Royal Typewriter to get exposed to
> proper typing techniques.  I BARELY made it to 40wpm to pass that
> class back in '64!
>
> And I hated reading e.e cummings back then.  Robert Frost was more my speed.
>
> "I have miles to go before I sleep."
>

> --

If all the advertising in the world were to shut down tomorrow, would people
still go on buying more soap, eating more apples, giving their children more
vitamins, roughage, milk, olive oil, scooters and laxatives, learning more
languages by iPod, hearing more virtuosos by radio, re-decorating their
houses, refreshing themselves with more non-alcoholic thirst-quenchers,
cooking more new, appetizing dishes, affording themselves that little extra
touch which means so much? Or would the whole desperate whirligig slow
down, and the exhausted public relapse upon plain grub and elbow-grease?

--- Dorothy L Sayers, in Murder Must Advertise