best backup solution

Junk junk at therobinsonfamily.net
Thu Jan 31 19:09:06 UTC 2013

On 31 Jan 2013, at 10:32, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 07:59:42AM +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
>>
>> A combination of the disk/parition and file level backups is
>> probable best, and also snap shots with LVM.
>
> I would also agree with this statement.  For file-level backups look at
> rsync and various rsync wrappers like rsnapshot, BackupPC.  For
> partition level, you might want to look at LVM snapshots.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Suvayu

> --

I'd just like to clarify that LVM snapshots are not really a backup method in themselves. Snapshots provide functionality to enable a block device level (i.e. partition) backup to be taken on a live and changing filesystem by some method. They only exist for the length of time the actual backup takes.