xorg crashing

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 31 21:41:30 UTC 2013

upgraded (via preupgrade) to F17 on Saturday and the xorg crashes are
too frequent. The number of bug reports on bugzilla, just from today
(mostly from abrt) simply make it difficult for me to try to make any
sense of them:
(long bugzilla search/sort, not recommended link)
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=firefox%20xorg&product=Fedora&query_format=specific&order=changeddate%20DESC%2Crelevance%20DESC&query_based_on=

So a simple description of my setup is...
F17
22" monitor
Nouveau driver with a small xorg.conf because I will max out at 1024x768
unless I have the xorg.conf but the contents are simple [1]

Seems if I try to use Firefox, I am certain to crash xorg.

Seems if I try to copy graphics from Gimp and then paste into
LibreOffice Writer, I am certain to crash xorg

Perhaps someone has been able to solve this issue in a less than perfect
way as it seems to a problem with certain hardware combinations and the
current xorg so I'm putting this on list.

Craig

[1] /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "single head configuration"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option          "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
        Option          "AutoAddDevices" "true"
        Option          "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        ModelName    "LCD Panel 1280x1024"
        Modeline     "1280x1024" 108.00  1280 1328 1440 1688  1024 1025
1028 1066 +HSync +VSync
        HorizSync    31.5 - 64.0
        VertRefresh  56.0 - 65.0
        Option      "dpms"