OT: what's with the 'i'?

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Thu Jan 31 23:54:09 UTC 2013

The reason I was taught was the transition from the Old English equivalent "ich."   When the word dropped from three letters to one letter, it was capitalized to point out that it was a separate word rather than a typographical error.  This doesn't make a lot of sense in modern typography, but I can see where that might be the case in hand-written scripts, sort of like the ampersand.

Here's a reference that says the same thing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/03/magazine/03wwln-guestsafire-t.html?_r=0

billo