retrofitting LUKS encryption on installed system

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 1 11:50:11 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 01 July 2013, J.Witvliet at mindef.nl sent:
> sometimes you see drastic overkills. Sure, private data needs to be
> protected! But the rest?? First analyze _what_ you exactly need to
> protect, and against _who_ .....

At least make it hard for a thief to boot up the computer and try
cracking things with tools that you've helpfully provided for them, or
so that it isn't going to be worth as much for them to sell because it
can't be easily booted up and see that it works.

My laptop has the BIOS password set, so you can't change settings.  And
it's set so it can only boot from the hard drive.  The hard drive is
encrypted, so it won't boot unless the password is given.  It's not much
use to an opportunistic bastard.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.8.13-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon May 13 13:36:17 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.