Is linux+network printing ever going to be easy?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 19:03:56 UTC 2013

I've got a HP Photosmart printer that works pretty well for regular jobs.
The problem is when I want to use the photo tray.

I've learned the hard way that at least with Linux, it is often
advantageous to make a copy of the printer to use as the "photo" queue with
all the appropriate defaults set.

So here's my scenario:

Wife wants to print a photo to the 4x6 photo tray with photo paper in it.
I setup the queue as mentioned above.
She opens the photo with the default application (Shotwell)
The clicks the print button, changes to the photo queue, and clicks print.
It prints out of the 8.5x11 plain paper tray.

I check her laptop via "localhost:631" and verify that the queue was setup
correctly, and it was.
I open the photo with Shotwell, click the photo queue, and go through the
settings in the other tabs only to find that "plain paper", 8.5x11 size,
and default color print quality selected.

I try to fix this by selecting 4x6 borderless prints, high-quality photo
printing but then try to change the paper type. Only plain and transparency
are available, no photo paper in the drop down, which the print dialog
complains that the print settings are not compatible, no duh.

The photo does print on the 4x6 photo paper and looks OK, but not great...

Is this just a problem with Shotwell?

Richard