F-19, VirtualBox problem -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri Jul 5 16:46:28 UTC 2013

On 05/07/13 09:57, Reindl Harald wrote:
> this is a well known problem
>
> you need VT-x enabled in the BIOS and after change this
> you need a *hard* power cycle, means complete power off
> and power on again - a reboot is not enough
>
> without hardware virtualization you can not run x86_64 guests

Ok, did that, even tried pulling the a-c power, still got the same
["This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detects an i686 CPU."]

I lost interest in virtualbox, at least on that computer. Installed KVM
which "works" well enough to install CentOS6 Live but I could not get it
to boot from the installed o/s. Other than those problems Fedora 19
works well, everything else I've done just worked without a hitch.

KVM works and boots CentOS6 on this Fedora 18 computer but it is newer,
I assembled it from new parts a few months ago. The Dell with F-19 on it
is older but usually works well, I may have found something it can't do?
I have to move on ...

Thanks all for the help.

Bob

--