Perplexed

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 6 04:02:13 UTC 2013

On 07/06/2013 01:19 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 07/05/2013 10:26 PM, Roger wrote:
>> I just now used Fedup to update Fedora 18 to 19. It did it's thing
>> quickly and efficiently and awaited a reboot.
>> I have both Ubuntu and Fedora on the hard drive. It boots to the Ubuntu
>> grub from which I select  the Fedora install.
>> I selected Fedora spherical cow from the Ubuntu grub.
> Isn't F19 called Schrödinger's Cat?
>
>> It booted to the familiar Fedora 18 and stayed there, everything works
>> as previously but I have no idea whether it performed the update, as it
>> says in the Fedora Fedup page.
>> I did see a very brief flash of what looked like an SELinux error message.
>>
>> There are no messages in SELinux alerts.
>> What should I be looking for to resolve the upgrade please?
> What says:
>
> cat /etc/fedora-release
>
> rpm -q fedora-release
>
> If these still say F18 (Sperical Cow), then something else is wrong.

Isn't F19 called Schrödinger's Cat? ... yes! but Fedora 19 is easier to type.
cat /etc/fedora-release =  Fedora release 18 (Spherical Cow)

rpm -q fedora-release  = fedora-release-18-1.noarch
Problem seems to be that when going through the Ubuntu Grub it does not
see  Fedora grub so doesn't see the Update selection therein.

I'll try the console reboot option.
Just wondering though, If the system updates, how will this affect the
code in the ubuntu grub  which contains the Fedora 18 kernel and init.
I have no idea how to change grub in ubuntu or what to change it to.
Thanks
Roger