F19: GRUB and Plymouth issues

"Germán A. Racca" german.racca at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 17:15:29 UTC 2013

On 07/07/2013 01:27 PM, sguazt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed F19 x86_64 from DVD.
>
> The first issue is that the GRUB boot screen
> * is only text-based (white text with a black background),
> * and uses an inadequate text encoding since it shows question marks in
> place of the umlauted "o" (i.e., the o vowel with two dots on top of it)
> in the Schrodinger word
>
> The second issue is related to plymouth.
> The service plymouth-quit-wait is marked as failed:
>
> plymouth-quit-wait.service - Wait for Plymouth Boot Screen to Quit
>     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plymouth-quit-wait.service;
> disabled)
>     Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Sun 2013-07-07 12:55:22 CEST;
> 5h 30min ago
>   Main PID: 396
>     CGroup: name=systemd:/system/plymouth-quit-wait.service
>

> Any idea?
>
> Thank you very much
>

> Best,
>

> -- Marco

About Grub, that is what I did: first I installed grub2-starfield-theme
and then I modified the file /etc/default/grub by adding the following
lines:

GRUB_THEME="/boot/grub2/themes/system/theme.txt"
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="gfxterm"

Finally, you should reboot to see the theme in action.

HTH.
--
Germán A. Racca
Fedora Package Maintainer