what has 'yum update' done?

Mateusz Marzantowicz mmarzantowicz at osdf.com.pl
Sun Jul 7 19:12:57 UTC 2013

On 07.07.2013 17:53, lee wrote:
> Heinz Diehl <htd at fritha.org> writes:
>
>> On 07.07.2013, lee wrote:
>>
>>> What kind of crap is that?
>> I don't know.
>>
>>> And does it mean that there again will be problems with updating when I try
>>> to move to F19?
>> In general, I would always prefer a fresh install over any
>> update. Experience over the years has shown (for me) that updating is more
>> prone to cause various trouble..
> That is not an option.  I can't start from scratch every half year and
> waste a week or two to get the system back to how I need it.  Half a
> year uptime isn't long; a distribution upgrade twice a year is ok and it
> doesn't hurt to reboot then.  Re-installing every half year is
> ridiculous.  If Fedora cannot be updated without major problems, it's
> not useable.
>
> If I need to reinstall, I'll install something else.  I hope I don't
> have to, so it would be nice to know what's going on after only running
> 'yum update'.
>
> Why is the booting messed up now?  Why is there a "Fedora" entry in
> grubs menu that boots --- deceptively --- a vmlinux-fedup image that
> fails to boot at some early stage?  Are they trying to cheat us into
> upgrading now?
>
> What will happen when I try to upgrade?  Probably the same failure, so
> how would I fix that?

If you don't want to upgrade to F19 yet, try to regenerate grub boot
menu manually using grub2-mkconfig. You'll gain some time to track
package that is trying to make you "happy" and then remove or
reconfigure it.

For upgrading use fedup (I did it and had no major issues), but do
install it and run when you're ready and have all valuable data backed up.

Mateusz Marzantowicz