nfs issues in fedora 19

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Mon Jul 8 05:09:38 UTC 2013

I normally have an nfs server running on one of my machines. Now nfs
itself and the portmapper start on fixed ports, but the rpc services
start on random ports so they need to be assigned fixed ports in
/etc/sysconfig/nfs like so:

LOCKD_TCPPORT=4000
STATD_PORT=4002
RQUOTAD_PORT=4003
LOCKD_UDPPORT=4000
MOUNTD_PORT=4001

then open up the corresponding ports in the firewall.

That was as of Fedora 14 which I had running before upgrading to Fedora
19. Now in F19 I did the same thing, but the rpc services seem to start
on ports other than the ones I specified:

60) root:~> rpcinfo -p
   program vers proto   port  service
    100000    4   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    4   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    3   udp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   udp  37527  status
    100024    1   tcp  42571  status
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   tcp   2049  nfs
    100227    2   tcp   2049  nfs_acl
    100227    3   tcp   2049  nfs_acl
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    4   udp   2049  nfs
    100227    2   udp   2049  nfs_acl
    100227    3   udp   2049  nfs_acl
    100021    1   udp   4000  nlockmgr
    100021    3   udp   4000  nlockmgr
    100021    4   udp   4000  nlockmgr
    100021    1   tcp   4000  nlockmgr
    100021    3   tcp   4000  nlockmgr
    100021    4   tcp   4000  nlockmgr
    100011    1   udp    875  rquotad
    100011    2   udp    875  rquotad
    100011    1   tcp    875  rquotad
    100011    2   tcp    875  rquotad
    100005    1   udp  20048  mountd
    100005    1   tcp  20048  mountd
    100005    2   udp  20048  mountd
    100005    2   tcp  20048  mountd
    100005    3   udp  20048  mountd
    100005    3   tcp  20048  mountd

So nlockmgr does get assigned port 4000 as specified by me. The other
ones seem to start on the ports defined in /etc/services. For instance,

62) root:~> grep mountd /etc/services
mountd          20048/tcp               # NFS mount protocol
mountd          20048/udp               # NFS mount protocol

Does anyone what's going on?

Are the rpc services now (i.e. in F19) being started on fixed ports?
Because if that's the case I can open up those ports in the firewall and
I'm all set.

If I wanted to change what ports they run on, what would I do? I mean,
even if IANA specifies 20048 for mountd, shouldn't I be able to run it on
a different port if I wanted to?

Sorry, I'm probably a few versions behind.