fedup - the good and the bad

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 11:23:20 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 07:03 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I've used fedup on 4 very different machines,
> and it has worked faultlessly.
>
> My only gripe is the complete silence
> during hours of processing.
> Is there any reason why something -
> if even just a dot every minute or so -
> should not appear on the screen?
>
> Of course an estimate of the expected duration
> would be even more helpful,
> or just a statement of how many packages have been processed,
> out of how many in total.

Whoever writes the wiki article on fedup, should post a range of
estimated-times-for-upgrade for each step of the process, with a set of
total numbers of upgradeable packages.

He should also remind everybody: be sure to install all things fedup
before you begin! That includes the fedup-plymouth package. When I
installed fedup, Apper didn't resolve that particular dependency. So I
checked it by hand to make sure I had it.

The Plymouth display needs to reach all the way across the screen. A
progress bar no longer than three centimeters can make people think the
upgrade has hung, when it hasn't. Happily, I had the disk-access pilot
light to tell me that something was going on. Then the Plymouth progress
bar went from just one dot to two or three, then to a millimeter. That's
how I knew to wait.

The first step (#fedup-clii --network 19 or $sudo fedup-cli --network
19) at least echoes back a message with every package it downloads, and
tells you how many are left. During the upgrade itself, you have to hit
the Escape key to see that kind of display--and if you want to go back
to the progress bar, it reads zero for the rest of the upgrade. (Maybe
they'll fix that for 20.)

Now I ran a fedup session without error. But if the program had thrown
an error, I'd have been out-of-luck. The community could use more
information on how to recover from errors, and how not to throw them in
the first place.

Temlakos