Fwd: Re: rant of the day: installing fedora

Alexander Volovics a.volovic at upcmail.nl
Mon Jul 8 11:49:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 12:12:12PM +0200, François Patte wrote:

> Le 08/07/2013 10:02, jehan procaccia a écrit :
> > I did had the possibility to partition manually ! I choosed my disk,
> > uncheck it and check it again then it proposed me to partition
> > manullay ("personalisé "). that's for the manual way to install,

> Thanks for this. I could (I hope, because the feed back for the user is
> minimal...) keep my previous partitionning. BTW, the logic of this
> escapes my mind! It is like if there is some secret door!
>
> Now, the install has begun and... I don't know what will be installed....
> I had a minimal choice (gnome, xfce...) I can see that a lot of gnome
> packages will be installed: It will take me a lot of time to get rid of
> this packages... because I want a totally gnome free installation! And I
> will have to check carefully what is missing....
>
> Also, no time for installation is displayed, I'm stcked there waiting
> for an end!
>
> Many thanks to all those crapy packagers who think that common people
> are to stupid to manage their own computer!

Du calme, Francois. Ce que nous voyons ici c'est:
'Monsieur Hulot et les ordinateurs' ou 'Francois et les ordinateurs'.

First there are 'installation guides' (though one is too terse and the
other long-winded and turgid).
By browsing these you would have known about 'manual partitioning',
'keeping existing partitions', 'choosing desktops', etc. in the new
anaconda setup.

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Quick_Start_Guide/index.html

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Guide/index.html

Second there are live spins of some desktops (KDE, LXDE, Xfce, etc) so
it is actually quite easy to evade Gnome entirely.

https://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

You have been around long enough to know these things. And I expect
research is still practised at UFR de mathématiques et informatique :-)

Reflect before you 'rant'.

AV