fedup - the good and the bad

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 12:00:10 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 07:57 AM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> On Monday 08 July 2013 12:37:13 Tom Horsley wrote:
>>> My only gripe is the complete silence
>>> during hours of processing.
>> Hours? Jeez. It doesn't take anything like "hours" for me to
>> install from scratch and copy my old config by hand.
> But does that include the download time for the DVD? Not everyone has the same
> download speeds.  I have found that the net install on a new PC and a fedup
> install on an existing one to be about the same, minus the hastle of copying
> config's back. I'm just doing my first F19 fedup so fingers crossed

It should work. It worked for me. And you have a good point: to compare
installation and upgrade times, compare all the time you take, including
downloading the installation media. And add this, too: having to run a
long update session after installing from already-obsolete media. Not so
bad after a week of release, but that problem will only get worse with
every passing week.

Better to install with a network connection, if you can keep it.

Temlakos