cron DELAY

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 7 13:22:21 UTC 2013

Am 07.07.2013 15:19, schrieb Steven Stern:
> Since F19, the following have appeared in my daily logwatch:
>
>  --------------------- Cron Begin ------------------------
>
>  **Unmatched Entries**
>  INFO (RANDOM_DELAY will be scaled with factor 37% if used.)
>  INFO (RANDOM_DELAY will be scaled with factor 4% if used.)
>
>  ---------------------- Cron End -------------------------
>
> What is the RANDOM_DELAY?  I have a number of lines in crontab, all of
> which seem to be kicking off at the correct times

man anacron

daily/weekly/monthly cronjobs are delayed randomly
which is a good feault does not hurt normal users
and gives a great benefit for virtualization clusters
out of the box by prevent all guests at the same time
doing daily cronjobs and overload the host

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/anacrontab
# /etc/anacrontab: configuration file for anacron
# See anacron(8) and anacrontab(5) for details.

SHELL=/usr/bin/bash
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root

# the maximal random delay added to the base delay of the jobs
RANDOM_DELAY=5

# the jobs will be started during the following hours only
START_HOURS_RANGE=0-12

#period in days   delay in minutes   job-identifier   command
1                 5                  cron.daily       nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.daily
7                 25                 cron.weekly      nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
@monthly          45                 cron.monthly     nice -n 19 run-parts /etc/cron.monthly