Fwd: Re: rant of the day: installing fedora

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Mon Jul 8 12:58:47 UTC 2013

Alexander Volovics wrote:

> Du calme, Francois. Ce que nous voyons ici c'est:
> 'Monsieur Hulot et les ordinateurs' ou 'Francois et les ordinateurs'.
>
> First there are 'installation guides' (though one is too terse and the
> other long-winded and turgid).
> By browsing these you would have known about 'manual partitioning',
> 'keeping existing partitions', 'choosing desktops', etc. in the new
> anaconda setup.
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Quick_Start_Guide/index.html
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Guide/index.html

> Reflect before you 'rant'.

Je ne suis pas d'accord.

The complaint was completely justified.
The default should never be to make a dramatic change,
unless this is essential.
The default should always be to leave things as they are,
as far as possible.

But even if you don't accept that,
and also believe users should read
what looks like a 100-page document before installing
(in general, the people who write Fedora installation manuals
are somewhat deficient in common sense,
believing that the more information given the better),
I don't actually see in the manuals you refer to
any statement of how to avoid automatic re-partitions.
Both show the same screen shot, and then say
----------------------
Figure 9.17. Disk Partitioning Setup

On this screen you can choose to create the default partition layout
automatically, or choose to partition storage devices manually
to create a custom layout.
But I don't see anything on the screen shot as shown
offering this choice.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net