Fwd: Re: rant of the day: installing fedora

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Mon Jul 8 13:58:00 UTC 2013

Le 08/07/2013 13:49, Alexander Volovics a écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 12:12:12PM +0200, François Patte wrote:
>
>> Le 08/07/2013 10:02, jehan procaccia a écrit :
>>> I did had the possibility to partition manually ! I choosed my
>>> disk, uncheck it and check it again then it proposed me to
>>> partition manullay ("personalisé "). that's for the manual way
>>> to install,
>
>> Thanks for this. I could (I hope, because the feed back for the
>> user is minimal...) keep my previous partitionning. BTW, the logic
>> of this escapes my mind! It is like if there is some secret door!
>>
>> Now, the install has begun and... I don't know what will be
>> installed.... I had a minimal choice (gnome, xfce...) I can see
>> that a lot of gnome packages will be installed: It will take me a
>> lot of time to get rid of this packages... because I want a
>> totally gnome free installation! And I will have to check carefully
>> what is missing....
>>
>> Also, no time for installation is displayed, I'm stcked there
>> waiting for an end!
>>
>> Many thanks to all those crapy packagers who think that common
>> people are to stupid to manage their own computer!
>
> Du calme, Francois. Ce que nous voyons ici c'est: 'Monsieur Hulot et
> les ordinateurs' ou 'Francois et les ordinateurs'.

Merci pour Monsieur Hulot: in his films, Tati shows some stupidities in
the life...

> First there are 'installation guides' (though one is too terse and
> the other long-winded and turgid). By browsing these you would have
> known about 'manual partitioning', 'keeping existing partitions',
> 'choosing desktops', etc. in the new anaconda setup.

OK! That's (almost) true! But this requires to have two computers: while
you install one, you follow the instructions on the other. Next time,
I'll ring at my neighbour door, kiss her if her husband is not there and
ask her for her computer.

More seriously, is it so difficult to put two buttons: "automatic
partitionning", "manual partitionning"?  Or even: "automatic
installation" and "install according to your wishes" ?

 When I saw only one button "automatic.." I tried to come back to see if
I did not missed something.... And as even this: a simple button "go
back" is not there, I had to boot again the install disk.... And came
back to the same dilemma : "what will happen if I continue? Shall I
loose my data on this computer?"... Because an overview of what happens
next is not there.

When I dared to continue, I saw an icon of the disk with this mention:
"only 1.7Gb are free and you need at least 3.5Gb". What to do? No help
(my neighbour was not at home).

At last, you find a button "start installation" and the installation
starts. You have no idea of what will be installed: the only choice I
had was to choose among window managers and I could ask to have some
development tools (gcc???? what else?) and libre office.

I don't know if I have gimp, texlive, emacs.... Absolutely no list of
what the installer has installed! I am obliged to do something like: rpm
- -qa, then read the list, then complete the installation to fit my
desires. And try to remove what is of no use.... For instance, I don't
want any gnome tools, but I have plenty of them! Why? I tried something
like yum groupremove gnome, and yum wants to erase a lot of xfce tools
that I asked for!

> Reflect before you 'rant'.

!!! I think that some people could reflect before building such an
installer! I will waste a lot of time now to analyse and complete this
installation and it will take me several weeks before I have what I need.

So long!

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique