fedup - the good and the bad

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jul 8 15:11:49 UTC 2013

Allegedly, on or about 08 July 2013, Timothy Murphy sent:
> Of course an estimate of the expected duration would be even more
> helpful, or just a statement of how many packages have been processed,
> out of how many in total.

It's often been said that it's hard to estimate how long to completion
(though previous installers have done so, with reasonable accuracy), but
I can see no argument against writing 12 out of 200 packages have been
installed.  Or showing a list of steps, that gradually get ticked off
(downloading, partitioning, formatting, installing...).  Or simply a
scrolling log of what it's actually doing at the moment, on part of the
screen, with something else permanently visible to give you a fighting
chance of knowing how far along the routine it's gone.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 3.9.8-100.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jun 27 19:19:57 UTC 2013 x86_64

public lists.