can't run sshd on 23456 in Fedora 19

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Mon Jul 8 15:13:36 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 10:01 AM, Tim wrote:
> And I'd certainly avoid putting anything exploitable, ever, on port
> 23456.  Maybe that was just a made up example by the original poster,
> but consecutive numbers like that, and other common number sequences,
> are just the sort of thing that wannabes hackers are going to type in to
> play with.

Since there are only 65,535 ports to scan, anyone at any time can easily
scan for an open port in seconds. Arguing about semantics of a port
number is more Security Through Obscurity(tm).

Proper security of an SSH port would include:
1) disabling root access
2) disabling password access
3) rate limiting new TCP connections