How to get rid of the clock lock screen

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 8 16:24:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 10:34:27AM -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> On 07/08/2013 09:47 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Yeah it seems like a good RFE would be for shift, alt, and ctl to also clear
> > the screen shield.
> Press the Enter key.

Right, so, rewinding a second in the conversation....

Traditionally, it has been seen as bad practice to press keys which _do
things_ in order to clear a screensaver. That's because there could be a
waiting dialog box accepting input, and "enter" could be a destructive
operation. Now, modern screensavers "eat" these keystrokes, but even so, a
system delay could cause you to press it twice when you didn't mean to.

So, we've been taught that best practice is to hit shift, control, or alt to
wake up a sleeping computer. These keys are almost always completely
harmless to press on their own.