what has 'yum update' done?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Jul 8 18:36:39 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 08:56 AM, lee wrote:
> Now consider the possible consequences of running a presumably pretty
> harmless "yum update":  You can be left stranded with a non-working
> system and you can lose your data.  What kind of reliability is that?

For well over 99% of the people using Fedora this is a non-issue because
it Just Doesn't Happen for them.  You might as well say that Fedora
isn't reliable because there's the possibility that you'll turn your
computer on and it won't boot, even though it always booted before.
Nothing is perfect, including both fedup and yum and the fact that it
didn't go well for you isn't proof that they're no good, especially when
counted against the tens of thousands of Fedora users who've used it
without any problems.  As I've mentioned before, I also follow the
fedoraforum and there have been very, very few threads about upgrade
issues for F19, especially when you compare it to the constant
complaints about upgrading to F18 or, for that matter, getting it
installed and working.