what has 'yum update' done?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Jul 8 20:31:08 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 01:10 PM, lee wrote:
> Your conclusion would have to be that Fedora can only reasonably be used
> in a professional environment like you have at your disposal and that it
> is totally unsuited for what they say that their user base is.

No, that's *your* conclusion.  I run Fedora on my personal desktop and
laptop because I like the idea of running a bleeding-edge distro.  I'm
retired, I have more time on my hands than I really want, and dealing
with the fact that not everything in Fedora is ready for "prime time" is
a good way for me to keep my tech support skills from getting too rusty
and to give back a little something to the community in the form of
feedback/bug reports and the help I'm sometimes able to give here and
elsewhere.  Frankly, I'd not use it in a production environment, at
least not for servers, because the constant updates and frequent
upgrades can interfere with 24/7 availability, but clearly, there are
enough professionals on this list who do exactly that to show you that
it's possible if you know your job.

You seem to have a large number of issues with Fedora and have little if
anything good to say about it.  If that's so, Fedora probably isn't the
right distro for you.  I don't know enough about what's out there to
suggest which one might be right for you, but I do hope you find it.
One of the many wonderful things about Linux is that there's no One True
Way to do things or One True Distribution that everybody has to use; if
one doesn't fit your needs, try a different one.  I wish you nothing but
good luck in finding a distro that does what you need the way you want
it because I'm sure that there's at least one out there that fits your
requirements exactly.