Urgent network help needed

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Mon Jul 8 21:20:52 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 02:00 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm not sure what tests I can run to diagnose the problem.
> Any suggestions very gratefully received.
> They may save a marriage ...

What browser/version is she using?  Have you had her open up a terminal
(Sorry, it's been too long since I last used Windows for anything except
games at a private club, and I may have the terminology wrong.) and try
to ping someplace?  My suggestion is mit.edu, as I know you'll get a
response, as I just tested.  If that fails does she get a response of
Unknown Host?  If so, her DNS might be misconfigured, but before
checking that, try this:

ping 23.48.166.151

As that's the same machine as you'd get from the other command.  If that
works, it's probably her DNS.  If not:

tracert 23.48.166.151

This gives you the Windows version of traceroute, and should show you
how far her ping gets before failing.  Also, you can try it with just
about any state university after testing from your own box to make sure
it responds; I just suggested MIT because I know that it works, just fine.

If you're wondering how I know all this because I don't use Windows any
more, I did telephone tech support for a major ISP for 7.5 years and
troubleshooting connection/connectivity issues was a large part of my
daily work.