Minor problem with Fedora 19

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 9 00:39:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 07:58:06PM -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> I installed Fedora 19 recently but wasn't paying attention when
> setting up the username
> portion of the installation. As a result I had an abbreviated form
> of my full name as a user name.
>
> So I used the system utility to change is to my preferred username.
> Problem is my home directory is still named my old username and at
> lightdm logon I have
> to type in my new username and password ( which is the same). The
> logon screen doesn't offer
> me my new name, but still offers the old name. Anyway to fix ???

I think this is normal, because too many things could go wrong in moving
files around. The non-GUI "usermod" tool will do it, tough.

After the fact, you can log in as root, make sure nothing is running as your
user account (use ps and kill), and then

 usermod username --move-home --home /home/username username

should do it.