Fwd: Re: rant of the day: installing fedora

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue Jul 9 00:55:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 09:47:56AM -0400, Temlakos wrote:
> On 07/08/2013 08:58 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> >Alexander Volovics wrote:
> >
> >>Du calme, Francois. Ce que nous voyons ici c'est:
> >>'Monsieur Hulot et les ordinateurs' ou 'Francois et les ordinateurs'.
> >>
> >>First there are 'installation guides' (though one is too terse and the
> >>other long-winded and turgid).
> >>By browsing these you would have known about 'manual partitioning',
> >>'keeping existing partitions', 'choosing desktops', etc. in the new
> >>anaconda setup.
> >>
> >>https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Quick_Start_Guide/index.html
> >>
> >>https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/19/html/Installation_Guide/index.html
> >>Reflect before you 'rant'.
> >Je ne suis pas d'accord.
> >
> >The complaint was completely justified.
> >The default should never be to make a dramatic change,
> >unless this is essential.
> >The default should always be to leave things as they are,
> >as far as possible.
> >
> >But even if you don't accept that,
> >and also believe users should read
> >what looks like a 100-page document before installing
> >(in general, the people who write Fedora installation manuals
> >are somewhat deficient in common sense,
> >believing that the more information given the better),
> >I don't actually see in the manuals you refer to
> >any statement of how to avoid automatic re-partitions.
> >Both show the same screen shot, and then say
> >----------------------
> >Figure 9.17. Disk Partitioning Setup
> >
> >On this screen you can choose to create the default partition layout
> >automatically, or choose to partition storage devices manually
> >to create a custom layout.
> >----------------------
> >But I don't see anything on the screen shot as shown
> >offering this choice.
> >

> And this is why I started looking for upgrade methods. It became
> clear to me that Anaconda now existed for one purpose only: to make
> a fresh install of the entire partition system and force the system
> administrator to restore the /home system from backup, or else store
> all users' files on paired servers. All very well in the enterprise
> but /not/ for the individual user running a system at home (as in
> "domicile").

I don't understand,.. I had no trouble installing F19 on a system where
I did NOT want to wipe out all the partitions, just some of them...

I gotta admit, however, that the new Anaconda is not my favorite
installer, it's confusing to figure out what needs to be done, and
sometimes when I try to click on an item it says must be done, it just
sits there and does nothing.

I fail to see what was wrong with the older method of giving you
sequential tasks to do until they're all done. certainly easier to use
that way.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?