rant of the day: installing fedora

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 01:09:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 20:55:06 -0400
Fred Smith wrote:

> I don't understand,.. I had no trouble installing F19 on a system where
> I did NOT want to wipe out all the partitions, just some of them...

How did you get past the screen that only lets you pick a whole disk
drive then, as the only possible option after that, click "Done"?
(Or, as I did the first time I saw it, push the reset button :-).

No power on earth could get me to click "Done" under those circumstances
when installing on a system that contains data I want to preserve.
Only after trying the install on a totally trashable test system
did I find that "Done" actually means, "OK, now you get to pick
partitions."

I don't have enough trust available to believe that they surely
won't actually wipe out the whole disk (especially when every
other part of the redesign has been to reduce or eliminate options).