Digital camera: "operation not supported by backend device"

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Jul 9 02:09:01 UTC 2013

After upgrading to F19, accessing a digital camera from Gnome is completely
broken.

Gnome detects the camera when I plug it in. I can browse its file directory
structure. The first indication that something is fubared is that none of
the picture files have thumbnails, just some generic icon. Dragging an icon
from the camera's folder to the desktop always fails with an "operation not
supported by backend device".

"Image browser" also has no issues showing the individual photos. Telling it
to save the photo to my desktop again fails with "operation not supported by
backend device".

In a shell, I see that instead of an ordinary USB mass storage mount in
/run/media, that I saw in F18, F19 has some strange FUSE mount. I can 'cd'
into the mount. I can navigate it. I can manually cp the individual files
off the weird mount, and onto my desktop with no issues, and the photos are
fine.

But I simply cannot access the camera via Gnome. It's completely borked.
After a few rounds, shotwell and image viewer fail to even browse the
camera's contents, whining that they can't obtain exclusive access to it, or
something.