what has 'yum update' done?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Jul 9 01:13:42 UTC 2013

Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> writes:

> On 07/08/2013 09:02 AM, lee wrote:
>> When you do that, how do you make sure that you don't run into a
>> situation in which your system becomes unusable?  You might end up with
>> crucial software not running or not working anymore because other
>> software already has been updated or hasn't been updated yet.
>
> And the Sun might not come up some morning, either.  That doesn't stop
> me from waking up and looking out the window.

And when the sun won't come up, you wouldn't start to wonder what's
going on?  Or, when you had strong indication that the sun won't come up
again, you wouldn't think about preparing yourself for that possibility?

> All you're posting here, really, is FUD, unless you have some evidence
> to show that there's a reasonable chance that what you're complaining
> about is going to happen. Do you?

Do you want me to post a copy of the grub configuration here that was
created?  So far, I can only tell that after running yum update, that
configuration was changed and the default, since then, is, as I can see
from reading the config, to boot a vmlinuz-fedup, which fails to boot at
an early stage.  I'm guessing that's supposed to run fedup or to do
whatever else might be needed to upgrade to F19, but I have no way to
tell.  I only booted that because I thought "well ok, they have renamed
that entry to Fedora, so what" and didn't check it, not because I wanted
to upgrade.

I haven't tried to upgrade yet.  That booting what is probably supposed
to do an upgrade fails and that upgrading didn't work last time is for
me a strong indication that upgrading will not work this time, either.

That the system apparently tries to do an upgrade all by itself without
even informing or asking the user is, to say the least, a major bug.

Maybe you can explain to me what's going here.

--
Fedora 18