what has 'yum update' done?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Jul 9 00:52:06 UTC 2013

Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> writes:

> On 07/08/2013 08:56 AM, lee wrote:
>> Now consider the possible consequences of running a presumably pretty
>> harmless "yum update":  You can be left stranded with a non-working
>> system and you can lose your data.  What kind of reliability is that?
>
> For well over 99% of the people using Fedora this is a non-issue
> because it Just Doesn't Happen for them.

If that is true, then why does it happen to me?  Why didn't the upgrade
work last time, and why does a simple "yum update" try to trick me into
upgrading, and why does booting fail after that?  There isn't anything
special here.

Besides, it might just work when I actually try to upgrade.  That still
won't explain why running yum update messes up the booting.

--
Fedora 18