what has 'yum update' done?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Jul 9 01:36:08 UTC 2013

Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> writes:

> On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 18:09:13 +0200
> lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
>> So it seems that most ppl use yum to upgrade and that it mostly works.
>
> The sample size of people in this thread isn't really enough to
> extrapolate to 'most people', IMHO.

It goes only the ppl in this thread.

>> If that is so, then why did they ever come up with fedup?  Why don't
>> they just stick with a working method and make sure it continues to
>> work instead of wasting effort with trying to create another one?
>
> Yum upgrades work for advanced users who can troubleshoot problems they
> run into.

The documentation says otherwise.

> Fedup should work for less advanced users who simply want to
> upgrade.

_should_ ...

> Nothing is perfect and upgrades are a difficult problem due to all the
> moving parts.

That seems to be some kind of RedHat specific problem.  From what I've been
reading, you should not upgrade CentOS but re-install, though you can
try with yum.  Same goes for RHEL, and Fedora is questionable.  It was
never a problem with Debian or Suse.

> Whichever method you decide to use, I'd advise having a good backup
> before starting.

Well, I'll figure out what I'm going to replace Fedora with in case the
upgrade doesn't work and have an installer for that ready.  I'll make a
backup of the data and some config files and disconnect the data disks
before upgrading.  If that goes wrong, nothing really bad has happened
and I'm done with Fedora.

The problem is to figure out what to replace Fedora with.

--
Fedora 18