Urgent network help needed

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Mon Jul 8 23:33:04 UTC 2013

Rick Stevens wrote:

> Step 2: Reboot her laptop. Not a warm boot (ctrl-alt-del), but
> a full-tilt cold boot from power off. You say she uses a VPN to contact
> work, and it's often that the VPN clients leave crumbs in Windows'
> routing and DNS lookup tables.

That did the trick, thank you very much.
Marriage secured, at least until the next outage.

Actually, by a fluke the internet went off where I am in Italy tonight
for about 10 minutes.
How I hate that red light on the modem.

Makes me think again that I should have a backup system,
maybe tethering a mobile phone.

There is a competition in Ireland - maybe everywhere in the world -
between ISPs to see who can lie best about internet speed.
I suspect my ISP may be using their new modem, so called e-Fibre,
at the limit of their functionality.

Apropos of nothing, I recall being told by a Telecom engineer
when modem speeds increased from 300bps to 1200 bps
that it had been proved "scientifically"
that this was the fastest speed copper wire could support.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net