Disabling ipv6

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 9 11:32:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 10:58 +0200, J.Witvliet at mindef.nl wrote:
> Once in a while I see people suggesting the disabling of IPv6 to cope
> with some issue.
>
> My I _kindly_ ask not to do that anymore?
> Even though such trick might take away the symptoms for you and me, it
> is a technical overkill and only tackles the symptoms.

In my case, I have a completely IPv4 network, and a complete
impossibility to do IPv6 over the internet (I'd need an IP6 to 4 proxy
*OUTSIDE* of my ISP).  So...

(a) It's useless on my network.

(b) I have seen things fail/annoyingly-delay where they tried IPv6
    first, waited, then tried IPv4, because...

  (I) The machine had an IPv6 address, so things erroneosly presume
      that they can do IPv6 networking.

  (II) DNS lookups can return IPv6 addresses, which it did.

(c) I see no point having to configure something that cannot actually
    be used (in my case).

(d) I'd like to see the computer realise that when the DHCP server, nor
anything else, is not giving it a IPv6 address, automatically disable
IPv6 on the computer.  Not invent a useless IPv6 address for itself that
causes other problems.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686