what has 'yum update' done?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jul 9 08:18:48 UTC 2013

Am 09.07.2013 07:13, schrieb lee:
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:

>>> None of these would solve the problem because I cannot clone my system.
>>> None of these are worthwhile because I don't really have use for a VM.
>>
>> i explained you taht you do *not* need to *clone* the system because
>> it is enough to clone *your* personal configuration

> If you have, I must have missed it.

read all what i wrote

> How would I clone all the configuration?

any non systemwide configuration is in your userhome
thew few systemdwide chagne if even ones in /etc
you need to know

>> if you still think you have no need for a VM and so having a testing
>> environment nobody can help you
>
> Are you seriously expecting me to spend about EUR 200 to buy VMWare

you missed the learn to deal with "the networking part is extremely
difficult" of KVM, your problem is you do not want to spend time
nor money which leads you nowhere

period

>> not in reality
>> not in case of a linux system
>>
>> software become not more complicated
>> it became in many parts too simplified
>
> You're wrong.  Just take, for example, a Linux kernel from 1995 and
> compare it with one from 2013.  How much functionality has been added,
> how many more lines of code are part of the kernel from 2013 compared to
> the one from 1995?

you missed the word reality

for the ordinary enduser most things and hardware are
wroking out of the box these days

> Do the same with other software that still exists,
> and even though it doesn't really give you a good picture, you'll be
> surprised.  How many different CPUs are in use today, how many different
> hardware combinations?  Compare that to what was available in
> 1995.

how many hardware vendors are write opensource
drivers these days and how many big companies
are member of the Linux Foundation and supporting
Linux and how many did 1995

again: you missed the word "reality"

> Compare the functionality some software like Libreoffice provides
> today with what it's equivalent in 1995 provided.

so what - i worked with "Star Office" in the 1990's
it was useable but much more buggy as LE today

> Look at graphics cards and compare recent models of today with those
> that were recent in 1995 and try to tell anyone they aren't any more
> complicated today than they were in 1995.  Same goes for other
> hardware.

*what does this bother you as user?*

> You'll probably find that quite a lot of now common hard- and software
> is so complicated that it would have been impossible to manufacture it
> in 1995.

so what

> Then make a list of soft- and hardware that wasn't commonly used or
> didn't even exist in 1995 but is common today.  Look at a web browser
> from 1995 and compare its complexity with one from 2013 and try to tell
> anyone that software hasn't become more complicated since 1995.

for the ordinary user?
clearly no!

>>> Then look at this thread:  There hasn't really been any answer to any of
>>> the questions
>>
>> because nobody and *nothing* started and starts magically
>> a dist-upgrade without making some major mistake
>>
>> this is simply not true - period
>
> Ok, so you are denying the facts

no, i simply do not believe it
if faced too often people enable the rawhide-repo as example
because "more is better" and all sorts of things normally
nobody would imagine that a user does for whatever reason