SQL Issue

Patrick Lists fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 9 19:27:01 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 08:11 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM, James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> With regards to your suggestion that would result in 5.6 which is a potential marked change from 5.5 - even more so than mariadb which is why it was kept at 5.5 this release... If you read the relevant threads in -devel you can follow the reasoning...
>
> Well, Mozilla has choosen to go with MySQL 5.6. First from Percona to
> MariaDB and then MySQL...

So what? Mozilla happens to like/need the optimized subqueries. That's
one moving to MySQL (until MariaDB catches up) versus many moving away
from MySQL.

> https://twitter.com/sheeri/status/340207301854113793
> https://blog.mozilla.org/it/2013/05/30/upgrading-support-mozilla-org-databases/comment-page-1/#comment-2798
>
> It's even faster! The horror!
> https://blog.mozilla.org/it/2013/01/29/in-subqueries-in-mysql-5-6-are-optimized-away/

Yes and kernel 3.11 is probably faster than kernel 2.6.18. What's your
point?

> But I'm sure MariaDB will suck up the changes in 5.6 in due time and
> move its exciting developments to its code base... and claim it their
> own...

Show proof that MariaDB claims code developed by others as their own.

> But the truth is, the bulk of the developers moving MySQL forward seem
> to be in Oracle's payroll...

Where's your proof? And even if so do you really think this will be the
case for much longer with the move to MariaDB by pretty much every major
distro on the planet?

> despite MariaDB propagandists grinding
> their collective teeth, waving their arms and yelling at the sky...
> http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvxhzrMX421r4d22do1_400.jpg

(is there something wrong with your period key? It seems to get stuck a lot)

You sure seem aggravated by the Community's decision to move to MariaDB.

> The rest is FUD... like this (you asked about FUD)

So is your email.

> tinyurl.com/muktware-liars
> vs reality http://tinyurl.com/lsvya6f

That fine list of 10 bugs really shows that Oracle has the Community's
best interest at heart. Meanwhile on planet earth it was reported that
Oracle has switched MySQL to their internal help desk system. Please do
show us how the Community can access that help desk system to stay in
sync with every reported MySQL bug.

> I'm sorry if my point of view is not the mainstream...

 From your messages on Oracle related subjects on this list one can
easily deduct that you have a thing for Oracle. If Oracle is your pink
unicorn be my guest. But please refrain from sending rather bitter
sounding FUD to this list when things don't go so well for your precious
Oracle. Oracle's role in the F/OSS Community is declining. With the move
away from MySQL and that BerkeleyDB re-licensing stunt their stuff will
become increasingly irrelevant. There is nothing you can do about that
except maybe accept it and move on with your life.

> And no, I won't engage in a flame war, so I'll stop this here.

Ok, I'll stop here too then.

Regards,
Patrick