fedup - the good and the bad

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 21:16:58 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 05:06 PM, Temlakos wrote:
> On 07/09/2013 05:04 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:

>>> It does, actually. It upgrades whatever packages you have installed.
>>> That is, /if/ you use a straight network upgrade. I think the mistake
>>> someone made was to upgrade from .iso as well as network.
>>>
>>> Temlakos
>>
>> Hmm....but even the .iso comes with "Gnome" as the default interface
>> no?I remember when I had to download the F18 .iso, I was given "choices"
>> a to what desktop interface I wanted to see
>> Gnome...KDE....XFCE....LXDE...etc.
>>

>> EGO II
>
> The original poster had chosen a different desktop--but maybe because
> he used the --iso option, fedup took upon itself to change his desktop
> to Gnome.
>
> I used --network only. I started with KDE and finished with KDE.
>
> Temlakos
Oh! ok.....that explains it! So then theoretically I should be able to
use the fedup-cli command and upgrade my system, without having anything
change except the versions of the applications installed on my
system....right? And the things that are "deprecated" (no longer
suppoerted?) will be replaced with things that ARE?...(and I know these
might sound like "stoopid"questions, but when I went from F17 to F18 I
had nothing to lose...the system was brand new...and I had been running
17 for about a month or two but now?...I have amassed a LOT of stuff!)

EGO II

EGO II