Scanner recommendations needed

linuxnutster at videotron.ca linuxnutster at videotron.ca
Wed Jul 10 12:02:43 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 07:57 AM, Philippe LeCavalier wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 7:48 AM, <linuxnutster at videotron.ca
> <mailto:linuxnutster at videotron.ca>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/10/2013 07:30 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>         On Wed, 10 Jul 2013 06:52:29 -0400
>         linuxnutster at videotron.ca <mailto:linuxnutster at videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>             Would there be a particular line of scanners which function
>             flawlessly
>             in linux, or am I expecting too much?
>

>         Not exactly the best solution, but I have a Epson Artisan all-in-one
>         device with a network connection, so when I want to use the scanner,
>         I crank up a Windows virtual machine and scan from there over
>         the network,
>         saving the files on a samba mount that is served by the host.
>
>         The hplip package (which you can get from the fedora repos) has
>         support for most HP all-in-one devices, but essentially no stand
>         alone scanners.
>
>       It sees this particular stand-alone just fine, but it simply
>     doesn't work fine. The scanner interface will either lock up or
>     simply crash. In order to get it to start scanning again I have to
>     either reboot or kill the scanlite process...
>
> Never used scanlite. I always either scanned directly from GIMP or via
> CLI(if I remember correctly). Based on experience I doubt your issues
> are hardware related on the computer side(doesn't mean they're not but
> I'd say unlikely). Most scanners are made pretty cheap. That said, have
> you tried a different USB cable? ppl tend to overlook that part of the
> equation...
>
> Have you tried Xsane? Looks to me like that's the more "mainstream" app
> for what you're trying to do.
>
> Phil

  Yep, I've scanned from the gimp and used xsane, switched cables,
etc... The only thing I haven't tried is an all-in-one which is
supported. I had a lexmark which wasn't supported and was given away
because there were no drivers beyond winxp. I guess what I'm looking for
is a magic bullet, where somebody on the list says "this model works
perfectly!" :-)