Scanner recommendations needed

Dale Dellutri daledellutri at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 14:32:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 5:52 AM, <linuxnutster at videotron.ca> wrote:

> I've tried several scanners from fedora 12 through fedora 17. The latest
> effort was an older H.P. scanjet 3570c. No matter which scanners I have
> tried, scanlite, etc... never seem to function consistently. It's always
> slow going and when I try to move to higher resolutions or scan several
> items in a row, scanlite, sane, etc... freeze up and stop functioning.
> Would there be a particular line of scanners which function flawlessly in
> linux, or am I expecting too much?

I have an HP L7590 all-in-one.  It has memory card slots for SD, MMC, xD or
USB
memory devices.  It can then scan directly to one of these in the printer
itself.
The printer can then serve the storage out as  a Windows share.  So I scan
the inserted SD card, then use smbclient to get the scanned results to my
fedora
linux laptop.

This is a two step procedure, but it works perfectly.

My wife has a Windows XP laptop, and I've set it up to connect to the
printer
share at startup, so she just sees it as an attached storage device.

There are probably other all-in-one which would allow similar usage.

--
Dale Dellutri