Scanner recommendations needed

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Wed Jul 10 15:10:47 UTC 2013

Philippe LeCavalier <support <at> plecavalier.com> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 8:00 AM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 <at>
gmail.com> wrote:I remember I once went through the entire list of
supported
> scanners on the sane web site and searched for each one
> on the office depot and staples web sites. Not a single
> scanner in the supported list was actually sold in a
> store you could walk into and buy one from .
>
> +1 I was doing some work which required scanning and went through that
same. I eventually just asked a buddy who owns a retail store and he
grabbed one out of his graveyard of parts and I've relied on it ever
since. People don't really buy standalone scanners anymore.

Snicker.  Using:

[dave at waste ~]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: HP       Model: C5110A           Rev: 3638
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Got it at what was for all intents and purposes a yard sale about 10 years
ago for $10.  Still works great using Xsane.  Kind of goofy to still
populate a box with an Adaptec SCSI adapter just so I can hang a scanner
off of it.

Cheers,
Dave