Disabling ipv6

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Wed Jul 10 17:22:20 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at alice.it> said:
> As a matter of interest, how can one tell if an ISP supports IPv6?
> This is slightly OT, but I often think I'd like to try using ipv6,
> but when I ask I'm given a purely theoretical reply,
> which I don't understand, usually involving SixXS.
> Are there simple instructions anywhere, just listing the commands to use,
> and not telling me how many people in China are using the internet.

Best way?  Ask them.  If the tech support doesn't know the answer, then
they don't really "support" it (speaking as a long-time ISP system and
network admin).

Other than that, it depends on how you connect.  If you've got cable or
DSL with a router running a DHCP client to get an address, see if it can
also get an IPv6 address via DHCPv6 (hopefully with prefix delegation).

SixXS and HE are IPv6 tunnel brokers; while that will get you on the
IPv6 Internet, it is not optimal (as you tunnel all your IPv6 traffic
over IPv4 to a third party, so you can get sub-optimal routing).
--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>