Disabling ipv6

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Wed Jul 10 18:30:03 UTC 2013

Bill Oliver wrote:

> Would test-ipv6.com or http://ipv6-test.com/validate.php give you the
> information you want?  Or are you talking about a network you are not
> connected to...

Thanks very much, very useful.
The second URL seemed to give an answer for any site I tried.
It seems IPv6 sites are rather rare.
I tried about a dozen sites in Ireland,
including most universities,
but only two came up positive: my own maths.tcd.ie
and heanet.ie , which sort of runs the internet in Ireland.
I tried about ten universities in the US,
but the only ones that came up positive were Harvard and Yale.

It seems the first test is very simple,
seeing if there is an AAAA DNS record.
Then there is a second test which I did not understand.
But no site that failed the AAAA test came good in the second.

So I guess IPv6 has a long way to go.
I've always thought that whoever is meant to be "selling" IPv6
is not gifted in the area of common sense.
I'd pass it over to Holland or Israel.
(I think I'd pass NSA over to South Korea.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net