Does anybody know what package this is in....?

Bill Oliver vendor at billoblog.com
Wed Jul 10 20:43:07 UTC 2013

I just had the oddest thing happen to me.  I performed a multipackage update on F19.  I don't remember what packages, it was just one of those notifications of "You have 18 updates pending" and I hit "Update."

When I rebooted my box, my alsa system was dead.  No little mixer icon in the system tray (I am running KDE), no sound, no nothing.  Alsamixer ncurses program was still there, but changing levels didn't change the (nonexistent) sound.

I brought up Apper (the KDE software manager) and it indicated that the alsa-firmware, alsa-lib, and alsa-tools were not installed -- though they had been before.  I tried to install them, but nothing happened.  So, then I went to the cli and tried yum install alsa-firmware, and it came back with the statement that it was already installed!

So, I *reinstalled* them using yum reinstall.  At that point things started working again.

But... I still can't get the little mixer icon on my system tray.  It's not an option when I try to configure it, though all the rest are still there.  I can add the "ALSA volume control" plasmoid, and it works, but I'd like the little icon in the system tray.

So, I have two questions:

1) Anybody know why an update would kill the sound system?

2) What package might I need to reinstall to get that little widget in the system tray?

Thanks!

billo