what has 'yum update' done?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Wed Jul 10 22:22:40 UTC 2013

Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> writes:

> On 07/10/2013 12:37 AM, lee wrote:
>> Well, I have a file like "rpmfusion-free-rawhide.repo" in
>> /etc/yum.repos.d/  which is there because I need the NVIDIA drivers.  I
>> was just following the instructions and have no way of knowing if
>> there's something wrong with that or not.  If you can show that it does
>> cause problems, you should make a bug report.
>
> Is it enabled?  I ask because for most people, it shouldn't be.  You
> get the nVidia drivers from the regular rpmfusion-free, not the
> rawhide repos.  That, I think, is what Reindl was getting at.

It doesn't seem to be enabled:

,----
| [~] yum repolist
| Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, presto, remove-with-leaves, show-leaves
|  * fedora: mirrors.linux.edu.lv
|  * rpmfusion-free: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
|  * rpmfusion-free-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
|  * rpmfusion-nonfree: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
|  * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de
|  * updates: mirror.pmf.kg.ac.rs
| repo id                             repo name                           status
| fedora/18/x86_64                    Fedora 18 - x86_64                  33,868
| rpmfusion-free/18/x86_64            RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Free        469
| rpmfusion-free-updates/18/x86_64    RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Free - U    527
| rpmfusion-nonfree/18/x86_64         RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Nonfree     214
| rpmfusion-nonfree-updates/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Nonfree     408
| updates/18/x86_64                   Fedora 18 - x86_64 - Updates        16,355
| repolist: 51,841
| [~]
`----

In the meantime, I found out that I can't boot what is listed as rescue
system.  When I try to boot that, it fails being unable to mount the
root fs.  I'm guessing that's because it doesn't load the driver for the
raid controller.  The relevant entry in grub.cfg doesn't specify an
initrd.

Since this is Fedora 18, I guess I can't even make a bug report about
this?  Has that been fixed on F19?  It should be fixed even for F18
since other ppl running yum update may run into the same issue when they
are preparing to upgrade.

--
Fedora 18