Disabling ipv6

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Thu Jul 11 03:03:37 UTC 2013

On 07/10/2013 06:38 PM, Fernando Lozano wrote:
> Bottom line: you won't use IPv6 because it's better. We may find out in
> the future it's actually much worse, but we will only know when it's as
> widely use as IPv4. We all know IPv6 is inevitable given the expansion
> of the Internet, but IPv6 is not need by most right now. Maybe we'll end
> up with a "different" IPv6, like current IPv4 with CIDR and NAT is very
> different than the original class-based IPv4.

IPv4 works as well as it does because we've had decades to work out the
bugs and find the best way to make use of it.  Eventually, we'll all be
using IPv6, but unless there are people out there now, using it, (even
if parts of the path are IPv4) we're never going to find any of the bugs
or sub-optimal design decisions.  Just like Fedora has rawhide, and
beta-versions of new releases, we need people to be beta-testers for
IPv6.  That doesn't mean that everybody using Fedora needs to do that,
just that it needs to be available if you want it, and that's true right
now.  When I go into Network Manager, and edit the connection I'm using
right now, there's a tab for IPv6.  Currently, I have it set to Ignore,
but it's there so that anybody who wants to try it can set it up, just
as easily as they do for IPv4.  Possibly, some day, I'll find out if my
ISP and router can handle it and if so, do some experimenting, but for
the time being, I have too many other things on my mind.