Disabling ipv6

Fernando Lozano fernando at lozano.eti.br
Thu Jul 11 16:21:27 UTC 2013

Hi Tim,

> Many ISPs will, also, have to buy new equipment. For some of them, at
> great expense. They're not going to do that unless they have to. Some
> have been avoiding it just because the technicalities of it are a new
> nightmare that they don't want to have to deal with (new security
> issues, new network configuring, new customer support issues).
Here ISPs are not well known for spending in training. :-( I'd guess big
corporations will adopt IPv6 before most ISPs. I don't think it's the
time for SMBs to try (fight with) IPv6, they should wait until products
mature and best practices to emerge. In the mean time, vendors should be
honest and disable IPv6 (not remove, just disable)

> The interim solution has been to grab back already allocated, but
> currently un-used, IPv4 addresses. This solution will be short-lived,
> but I haven't seen an predictions for when it'll run out of available
> IPv4 addresses. If manufacturers and software programmers don't pull
> their fingers out, we'll be faced with even more ISPs subjecting their
> clients to NAT.
Would this be so bad? Most people at work have been working using NAT
for years. NAT increases security. Most internet users don't need to run
servers.

[]s, Fernando Lozano