OpenJDK packaging bug in Fedora 19

Chris Adams linux at cmadams.net
Thu Jul 11 18:41:24 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com> said:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 12:54:36 -0500
> Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Ditto.  I've been meaning to write a packaging draft to the alternatives
> > guidelines to enforce the idea that packages MUST own their 'alternatives'
> > targets
>
> But how can multiple packages trade ownership of the same file?

It isn't a file, it is a symlink, and all the packages should have the
same symlink (pointing to /etc/alternatives).  I'm pretty sure that rpm
will allow multiple packages to own the same symlink (as long as they
all have the same target).  IMHO that would make things even easier to
figure out; "rpm -qf /usr/bin/java" would list all the packages that can
"claim" java.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>