Disabling ipv6

staticsafe me at staticsafe.ca
Thu Jul 11 19:41:01 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 02:20:37PM -0500, Richard Sewill wrote:
> I turned on IPv6 in my router.
>
> I am still getting 6to4 Tunnel from my ISP.
>
> Netflix is currently streaming so my network is not idle.
>
> I tried ping and ping6 anyway.  This is NOT on an idle network.
>
> There remains a performance penalty when using IPv6.
> As another pointed out, this is because of the path the packet is routed.
>
> I trust Linux when I turn on IPv6.  I can turn off most services and have
> the firewall on.
>
> I don't know if I trust the Apple Mac or Windows when I turn on IPv6.
>
> Given the ISP is handing out 6to4 tunneling, I still think the ISP support
> is "sort of not there".
>
> My router has some IPv6 stuff in it.  It has enough to turn on and use IPv6.
> My router is missing reporting stuff I would expect to find for IPv6.
> My router has a screen that reports attached devices and reports IPv4
> stuff, not IPv6 stuff.
> I would say my router still needs some stuff to be IPv6 friendly.
>
> I apologize for my earlier top postings.  I use gmail and it likes to top
> post.
>
> I am guessing, please correct me if I am wrong, IPv4 will be used in
> preference to IPv6, when both are available.
>
> I am curious.  Is there any recommended equivalent of speedtest.net for
> IPv6?
>
> I have mixed feelings about disabling IPv6 or leaving IPv6 enabled.
> Each person must make this decision, on their own.

See RFC3484 [0], page 11, section "Destination Address Selection".

   Rule 7:  Prefer native transport.
   If DA is reached via an encapsulating transition mechanism (e.g.,
   IPv6 in IPv4) and DB is not, then prefer DB.  Similarly, if DB
   is reached via encapsulation and DA is not, then prefer DA.

      Discussion:  6-over-4 [15], ISATAP [16], and configured tunnels
      [17] are examples of encapsulating transition mechanisms for which
      the destination address does not have a specific prefix and hence
      can not be assigned a lower precedence in the policy table.  An
      implementation MAY generalize this rule by using a concept of
      interface preference, and giving virtual interfaces (like the
      IPv6-in-IPv4 encapsulating interfaces) a lower preference than
      native interfaces (like ethernet interfaces).

In your case, getaddrinfo rules apply, IPv4 will be preferred over a
6to4 connection.

[0] - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3484.txt
--
staticsafe